Wednesday 30 November 2011

Single in the Sin City

I recall the day when first time I ventured out of my protective home  to enter the big bad world all alone. My parents were more anxious than me. They were worried how their pampered and ‘touch me not’ daughter will survive in the debauched world.
Nonetheless, sitting today here in Delhi all by myself, I have not only survived it but have managed to learn the quick payback tricks too. I am now a quintessential DILLIWALI who is ruthless yet with a golden heart :)


I am no more wary of walking down an insanely crowded road. I am used to Delhi’s heat sitting in my AC car, home and office. I stay in posh colony where except for my immediate two neighbours I have no clue about the rest. Neither they are bothered about me nor I am bothered about them.

On one hand I haggle with a rickshaw-walla over a fifteen rupees, and on the other hand I don’t  even think for a second before blowing away thousands on drinks. I have lot of convenient friends to spend my weekends and few close friends to share my thoughts.
I drive down in a concrete jungle from one flyover to another. Traffic snarls have stopped being a burden. I stop at a red light, with children begging and saying aapki jodi bani rahe with my colleague sitting next to me. We look at each other startled and laugh out loudly. I hurl abuses at the pedestrians who keep crossing the roads without looking at the red lights and think that it’s car drivers duty only to avoid accidents and not theirs.

I go to Lajpat Nagar to buy my home stuff like all others. I shoulder away random men who can’t help walking too close. I shrug, and just keep on walking. I see people fighting and I do not stop to find out why. I fight for my space in an overcrowded city that is everyday making headlines for it’s notorious acts.
Every time there is a bomb blast or any infamous incident panic calls starts pouring in from my parents and well wishers. I try to convince them saying I am absolutely safe.

Deep down under I know I am staying in a SIN CITY that has made me a SINNER too in some way.

No comments:

Post a Comment